BEGINNING DRAWING ART 111-1 ASSIGNMENT SHEET
STILL LIFE EMPHASIS ON TEXTURE
• Compressed & vine charcoal • Charcoal pencils (full range)
• Graphite pencils (full range) • Measuring stick & view finder
• Eraser • Ruler
• Full Sheet Drawing Paper
• Various Still Life Objects highlighting texture
GENERAL GOAL: Think of all the techniques learned thus far (perspective, value, integration, light to form, pos/neg shape, open/closed form, etc.) to create a drawing, from the still life. Reflect on and label the principles of design for each of your 10 thumbnail sketches. In the end, you will reference one of your thumbnail sketches to create a final charcoal drawing on a full sheet of drawing paper. This assignment focuses on texture so choose a thumbnail that highlights not just one but multiple textures.
• Make at least 10 thumbnail drawings in your sketchbook before you decide on your final composition.
• Experiment with open/closed composition, view point, etc.
• Be creative! Move around the still life and find new perspectives when drawing.
GENERAL QUESTIONS FOR GRADING:
• Were the basic instructions understood and followed?
• Does the work fail to meet, meet or exceed the basic requirements of the assignment?
• Were the proper materials used?
• Create the illusion of plastic form in space.
• Use a range of values (as definer of edges and complexity).
• Show multiple textures (as definers of form and complexity).
• Accuracy (scale, position, continuity of edge).
• Composition (balance in scale of shapes)(originality).
Critique #1: November 17th, 2016 (10 sketches from still life due at the beg. of class)
Critique #2: November 22nd, 2016 (placement, scale, composition)
Critique #3: December 1st, 2016 (Value & Texture)
Critique #4: December 8th, 2016 (Final Touches)
DUE DATE: Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 ((10:30am))