BEGINNING DRAWING ART 111-1 ASSIGNMENT SHEET
• Compressed & vine charcoal • Charcoal pencils (full range)
• Graphite Pencils (Full Range)
• Eraser • Ruler
• 1/2 Sheet Drawing Paper • Measuring stick & view finder
• 4x6 (Black and White) Photograph highlighting light to form and texture
GENERAL GOAL: Think of all the techniques learned thus far (value, integration, light to form, pos/neg shape, open/closed form, etc.) to create a drawing, from your chosen photograph. The Photograph should be of good quality and of good composition. Reflect on the principles of design when translating your photograph. In the end, you will decide which principle of design your photograph is similar to (can be more than one) and create a final charcoal or graphite drawing on a HALF sheet of drawing paper. This assignment focuses on translating from a visual reference rather than actual life.
• Take a photograph or obtain a photograph and have it approved by Prof. Pena.
• Translate your photograph to your half sheet of paper.
• Decide which principle of design your photograph is similar to and translate the principle in the final drawing.
• Be creative! Now is your chance to really push the boundaries of what’s represented in the photograph and the principle of design your translating.
GENERAL QUESTIONS FOR GRADING:
• Were the basic instructions understood and followed?
• Does the work fail to meet, meet or exceed the basic requirements of the assignment?
• Were the proper materials used?
• Did you participate during the final critique?
• Translate the illusion of light and form from the photograph to your drawing.
• Use a range of values (as definer of edges and complexity).
• Show multiple textures (as definers of form and complexity).
• Accuracy (scale, position, continuity of edge).
• Composition (balance in scale of shapes)(originality).
• Giving constructive criticism during the final critique on May 7th
Photo Critique: November 30th Beginning of Class
Critique #1: December 5th Beginning of Class
Critique #2: December 7th Beginning of Class
Tuesday, DEC. 12th 3:30pm-5:30pm - We will meet during our assigned finals time to critique the work. We will stay until we are finished and your attendance and participation of giving constructive criticism during the critique will be assessed and points will be given for that final grade.
Good AND Bad photos for Drawing