BEGINNING DRAWING ART 111-1 ASSIGNMENT SHEET
POSITIVE / NEGATIVE SHAPE & COMPOSITION DRAWING
• Eraser • Vine Charcoal
• Compressed Charcoal • Charcoal Pencils
• Full Sheet (Drawing Paper) • Ruler
• Stool, Plants, etc.
GENERAL GOAL: Create a charcoal drawing that is the illusion of a white stool and plants in black space.
• Prepare your surface.
• Observe the stool thinking of the negative shapes first.
• Draw equivalents on your paper starting with the largest negative shapes first using your vine charcoal.
• Remember to start your drawing thinking in terms of general to specific.
• Once the composition is set on your paper, use your compressed charcoal to darken the background –solidifying the largest negative shapes.
• Remember; only use negative shapes to define the shape contours of the positive plastic form.
• By the end of your drawing process you should have represented a white stool and plant existing in a black ground.
GENERAL QUESTIONS FOR GRADING:
• Were the basic instructions understood and followed?
• Does the work fail to meet, meet or exceed the basic requirements of the assignment?
• Were the proper materials used?
• Create the illusion of space and illusion of form (stool and plant).
• Use of negative shapes (as definer of edges and complexity).
• Accuracy (scale, position, continuity of edge).
• Composition (balance in scale of shapes)(originality).